Well friends, I recently spent 10 days at my parents house between moving out of the old apartment and into the new house (inconvenient that the leases did not overlap). In those 10 days we decided to take on a couple of big DIY projects for the new place. Here’s project number 1: repainting and finishing a desk and an end table.
In Bloomington, we’re pretty fortunate to have access to a lot of free stuff. In a huge college town, move-out time inevitably leaves tons of stuff stacked and piled on curbs and by dumpsters. We’re more than happy to pull over and pick up a table or desk that’s been cast aside as long as it’s in good condition. So we decided that with just a bit of work on our part, we could turn an otherwise boring desk and end table into a nice matching set of furniture for the new place.
The first real task was deciding on a color. This took some time, but in the end, we came up with a color scheme that we both liked and agreed on…
The desk was one of those easy to assemble deals and had one of those fake wooden finishes already. So our first task was to sand down the finish a bit so that we could scratch up the surface just enough for the paint to have something to hold on to. Then we put down a layer of primer before the actual paint. Again, this helped ensure that the actual paint would stick and not come peeling off right away.
For our color scheme we decided on a deep brown for the top with a light olive green body. This scheme fit with the greens and browns that we decided to stick with for most of the house.
We decided to hit each section of the desk with a couple of coats of paint. This is pretty standard and really just helped to make the colors a little more vibrant and solid. We debated whether or not to top the desk with some sort of clear coat or gloss to help seal it. We found a can of spray paint clear finish at my parents’ house and decided to give it a shot since it was there. That turned out to be a mistake as it dried a bit streaky. So then we had to find a way to remedy that little misstep. We decided to get some polyurethane clear, brush-on finish. This stuff worked out great. It covered the awkward streaks left by the spray paint finish (I’d advise against spray on finish) and left a great, shiny seal that helped to make the top of the desk pop.
So there we have it. One of our projects while living at home. It turned out really well, and we were able to accomplish it on a pretty on a tight budget:
End Table: FREE
Quart of primer: ~$6
Quart of brown: ~$7
Quart of green: ~$7
Total Cost: ~$28
Not bad for a “new” desk and end table!